Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm so proud....


Social networking is really something. I've enjoyed getting back in touch with old friends from high school and college. I've also had the extreme pleasure of tracking down some former students and interns.

My time at the Ames Chamber of Commerce was really pretty life changing. For those of you who don't already know, when I was in college I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. When I started my job at the Chamber our assistant Shirley and I bonded over having both been cancer survivors. This was also the time when I was charged with hiring interns to assist in special Chamber projects, which ultimately led to my strong desire to return to a college environment to work with students full time.

That change happened when I returned to the Chamber from a short vacation to learn that Shirley was in the hospital with a recurrance of cancer. She died three days later. It was a very emotional time, and a wake up for me to get my life in order and work toward accomplishing what I wanted to accomplish.

So back to the real story here. Recently I used the Facebook Friend Finder to find some of the interns that I worked with at the Chamber...and I was able to track down Daphne Meyers. Daphne and I had a great time while she was working as my intern. She had such a great time and was so talented that her first job out of college as at the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce...as the DIRECTOR!

Daph hasn't changed all that much I've gotta say. After exchanging some emails I checked out her website at www.dylanssmile.com and learned a little bit about what she's been up to.

She's doing really good stuff...and I'd really like it if all of you would check out her site, and if you're able to, give a donation to help the cause. You'll feel good, and you'll help my friend Daphne do good things for others.

No comments: