Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Technology Today

I was thinking about technology today....ya...it's a big thing...but I wasn't thinking quite that big.

So during my lunch break today I had some time to kill before the students came back from their lunch. Homework had already been graded, reviews had already been completed, and I had already shared most of the "more bang for your buck" materials that I planned to share with the group....so...what to do?

I thought it would be fun catch up on Ugly Betty - the ABC show that I really dig. I pulled up the ABC website on my mac - it had internet at the school through a wireless connection. As I was sitting there watching Ugly Betty in High Definition on my computer - it clicked for me that I could probably watch it on the video projector that was also connected to my computer....so I fired up the projector, turned off the lights, and enjoyed Ugly Betty in High Def on an 8 foot wide screen, and fantastic sound ( I take my own Boston speaker system with me when I teach ).

Now...how crazy is that?? I remember back about 20 years ago, going to visit my Aunt Jean. She had a computer and lots of friends she shared software with. She showed me something I had never seen done before - the display of a photo on a computer screen. She had 10 photos. Each was on their own disk. And they were big floppy disks. Do they even make those anymore?

Back in the day that whole photo thing was uber cool....although completely unusable. You just looked at the photo. That's all. Nothing else.

Today...I watched a TV show....for free....in high definition....over a wireless internet connection....on an 8 foot screen....with high quality sound.

Amazing how far we've come, isn't it.

Now...try wrapping your brain around what technology will be like in 20 years from today!

No comments: