Thursday, March 5, 2009

LED light bulbs

Something that pops in my mind when I think about the whole green movement has to do with compact florescent light (CFL) bulbs. At first I thought they were pretty cool. Neat that we had an alternative, although a little more expensive than a regular bulb, but they're supposed to last for a long time.

Well, now there's another alternative - and it makes me really dislike CFL bulbs, with their difficult disposal rules and the fact that they're made with small amounts of mercury!

LED bulbs last even longer than the CLF version, and use even less energy. You may have noticed a lot of holiday lights have LED bulbs in them. Ordinarily, these are pretty pricey...$20 or more per bulb. They're also kind of tough to find - available more online than at local stores.

Today I happened to go to Sam's Club. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a real big fan of Walmart....but...that is really beside the point. My mom purchased a membership, and sent her "household card" to me so I could get one as well. Today was the day.

So while I was checking out Sam's Club for the first time in a few years, I ran across LED light bulbs. And they were priced really well. I was able to get two spotlight type bulbs for about 15 bucks, and three globe style bulbs for about 15 bucks. Now...this is really kinda pricey when you can get 3 bulbs for a buck at Dollar General, but in the scheme of LED bulbs - this is a fantastic price.

So far the bulbs have been great. I put one outside on the front porch, two above the dining room table, and the rest in my home office.

So, if you're looking to replace any light bulbs, check these out. They use just a tiny amount of energy, and last for a really long time. In the long run, they're well worth the price!

No comments: