Thursday, June 5, 2008

Prioritizing....

Do you remember the first time you thought how great it was to be able to do multiple things at once - or multi-task? I remember being in college thinking I was a hot-shot because I could "multi-task" - when being intereviewed for campus leadership positions it was a huge buzz word - one I used and one I heard.

My coach Scott Gordon and I have had a few conversations about this whole multi-tasking stuff. Joe Stumpf, likely the best real estate trainer in the country, also has a lot to say about multi-tasking. The main point...it's really not good. When we've got a bunch of stuff on our plate and we're trying to do a little on one project and a little on the other projects, it leads to poor quality and slower results.

So what should we do? Prioritize. What's the most important thing to accomplish RIGHT NOW - the highest and best use of your time and brain waves. Sometimes I have a really hard time figuring that out. When it is choose between activity A and activity B, it's easy. When I have a list of 12 things - it's not quite that easy.

The other day Scott shared a great tool with me - the Prioritizer.

http://prioritizer.idea-sandbox.com/

Click on the link or put the URL above in your browser, then put in your list of activities or chores. Click next. You'll go through several questions, and end up with a prioritized list.

Cool stuff. I hope it's as helpful to you as it has been to me.

No comments: