Friday, October 30, 2009

My customer service day



I think it's kind of odd that I spend so much time learning and growing and attempting to help others learn and grow, all in an effort to provide world class customer service.

Let me tell you a story about my customer service experiences today.

Since we had a shift in temperatures over night, I set my alarm pretty early to make sure I would be able to get up to the Board of REALTORS® with plenty of time to get settled for class. Turns out I got up there around 7:15 a.m. for a class that started at 7:30. So I had this though - run by the local grocery store (it was not HEB) and get a bottle of wine as a welcome back gift for Sally who will be back in the office next week.

I walk in the store and find the wine...then I walk up to the front to check out. There were three people in line ahead of me - so I went looking for another check out - but at that time in the morning there is only one line open. Makes sense. I went back and got in line. By that time I was the 5th person in line. Then I notice there is no checker there. It looked like she had to run over to the customer service counter for something. Then she came back, and immediately turned around and left again and made a copy. Four other employees walked by. All of them looked at us. Nobody helped us. I stood there wondering if anyone was going to say something. Nobody did....so i went to the managers office and asked - with a little more volume than regular conversation - if it would be possible to get some help - because there were now seven of us in line and NO CHECKER.

The manager came and apologized, saying she was sorry her checker had left. When it was my turn - she apologized to me as well. I smiled and said thank you for taking care of us - but that she needed to know that the four other employees had walked by, noticed a problem, and done nothing about it - and to me, that was an even bigger problem. She seemed to agree....I went on my way.

The wine was a hit and I enjoyed a great day of learning with some of the best agents in Austin.

Stay tuned for part two....

No comments: