Saturday, May 23, 2009

Want a time share?


So I have this time share... I used to really dig it. Over the past 3 years it has kind of lost the special place that it once had in my life. It costs about 750/year for maintenance fees....which isn't all that bad if you actually use the thing. Plus if you pre-pay you get a 10% discount and $10 in Silver Bucks you can use on yummy (really bad for you) food from the cafe.

Unfortunately I just haven't been using it....

As I've been thinking about what to do with it, I have discovered that there is a huge market for resale time shares. Not that I wasn't aware of the resale market - that's how I actually ended up getting it, too.

Buying resale is much cheaper than buying from the developer, and if you are only looking to use it during the actual ownership week or do an inhouse exchange (my week is is #43 at the Hill Country Resort in Canyon Lake, TX), there really isn't much of a drawback. One of the cool things Silverleaf allows is inhouse exchange, so you can use the week at any other property they own for a small exchange fee of $75 bucks. You can also trade this week with RCI, although I never really had any interest in doing that.

The current "price" for a deeded red week is around $26,000.

What I have learned is that although you own the deed to the actual unit week you purchase, all those special "frills" they promise do not necessarily transfer (fully, anyway) when you sell the unit on the open market. So while I have enjoyed "bonus time" from Silverleaf for nearly 3 years now, there is always the possibility that it will go away. I haven't quite figured out if this is simply a really poor tactic to convince me to buy something from the developer, or if they really will take it away some day.

Anyway - if you or anyone you know are interested in a Silverleaf Resorts timeshare, please get in touch with me. I really don't have any intention of making a ton of money on the sale, I just want it to go away without loosing money. Closing costs will include about 400 to the title company and 250 for the resorts transfer fee. So, you could have this thing for under $1000....a good value considering they are seling for nearly 30,000 now. And the maintenance fees are paid through the end of this year.

I hope that someone will find the same joys in it that I used to...

Check out some photos of a typical unit in my picassa album.

No comments: